GROWING MAINE'S ECONOMY
- HOW WE'LL DO IT
Midcoast Maine has tremendous potential to attract cutting edge, high tech industries like RAS. With a strong local workforce and proximity to major infrastructure and University hubs, the community is an ideal home for forward looking businesses.
Whole Oceans plans to significantly invest in Maine over the next five years to build and operate our world class facilities.
STATE OF THE ART TECHNOLOGY
- WHAT WE'RE PLANNING
- Throughout 2018, Whole Oceans is beginning a multi-phase plan to develop a sustainable land-based farm to grow Atlantic salmon in Midcoast, Maine.
HEALTHY, HIGH QUALITY FISH
- WHY SALMON?
- Salmon is rich in nutrients, minerals, marine omega-3 fatty acids, high-quality protein and vitamins, and represents an important part of a varied and healthy diet.
BRINGING PROSPERITY AND ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY TO MAINE
Whole Oceans is a Maine company, on track to become America’s premier, land-based producer of sustainable farm-raised Atlantic salmon.
Beginning in 2018, we are building a state-of-the-art Atlantic salmon recirculating aquaculture system (RAS) facility in Midcoast, Maine.
This project will be one of the largest land-based aquaculture projects in the world.
PRODUCED GLOBALLY (2017)
ATLANTIC SALMON SALES
PRODUCED DOMESTICALLY (2017)
UNIQUE ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY
Midcoast Maine has tremendous potential to attract cutting edge, high tech industries like RAS.
Whole Oceans has already begun to form meaningful relationships with Maine-based education and research institutions to assist them with creating the workforce of tomorrow.
STATE OF THE ART TECHNOLOGYLAND-BASED RECIRCULATING AQUACULTURE SYSTEM (RAS)
RAS is a technique for raising fish in a closed, indoor, land-based system. Water is continuously recirculated through a purification system, which conserves water and eliminates the need for antibiotics.
This video was produced by our partners at The Conservation Fund, one of America’s largest environmental non-profits with a dual charter to pursue environmental preservation and economic development. Through their Freshwater Institute, they have been directly advising Whole Oceans with this project.
ADVANTAGES OF RAS
- Water Savings of 95% - 99%
- Recirculating efficiency reduces overall water dependence.
- Mortality Reduction
- The tight biosecurity protocols in our facility will significantly lower the risk of pathogens and decrease the overall mortality of our fish.
- Natural Products
- Minimal to zero hormones & antibiotics.
- Environmentally Friendly
- Low impact on environmental resources.
- Extensive Monitoring Systems
- 24-hour control over feed & water quality.
Whole Ocean’s salmon have a reduced carbon footprint due to the efficiencies of RAS production and our close proximity to our customers.
FRESH & LOCALLY SOURCEDSEAFOOD OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY
A HIGHER QUALITY SALMON
- We are Focused on the Diet of our Salmon
- By utilizing the latest technology, we are able to grow our salmon in a clean, controlled reduced stress environment with a focus on healthy diets. This level of care is directly reflected the higher quality of our fish.
- Highly Nutritious
- Salmon is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. It’s rich in minerals, marine omega-3 fatty acids, very high-quality protein and several vitamins, and represents an important part of a varied and healthy diet.
- Grown from Egg to Harvest in One Place
- We use the highest quality eggs and grow our fish from eggs through harvest inside our Maine-based state of the art biosecure facility.
- USING THE ENTIRE SALMON
- We plan to further develop complimentary businesses designed to utilize all aspects of the fish to minimize our waste stream.
TEAM & PARTNERS
WORLD CLASS PARTNERS
Whole Oceans’ partners fulfill a best-in-class approach throughout our company. We are thrilled to include the world’s foremost leaders in land-based aquaculture design, engineering and construction:
The Conservation Fund
The Freshwater Institute
Pranger Enterprises, Inc.
Kennebec River Biosciences
Of course, a business is only as good as its people. To reach our long term production goals, Whole Oceans will create hundreds of jobs and will join with Maine educational partners to create our workforce of tomorrow.
Joe McElweeChief Production Officer
Ben WillauerChief Development Officer
Eric JacobssonChief Financial Officer
Jason MitchellChief Operating Officer
Jennifer FortierOutreach & Development Associate
SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATESSubscribe here to be added to our mailing list. You will receive periodic updates as we move forward.
CALL + CONNECT
P.O. Box 7561
Portland, ME 04112