GROWING MAINE'S ECONOMY
- HOW WE'LL DO IT
Midcoast Maine has tremendous potential to attract cutting edge, high tech industries like RAS. With a strong local workforce and proximity to major infrastructure and University hubs, the community is an ideal home for forward looking businesses.
Whole Oceans plans to significantly invest in Maine over the next five years to build and operate our world class facilities.
STATE OF THE ART TECHNOLOGY
- WHAT WE'RE PLANNING
Whole Oceans began a multi-phase plan to develop a sustainable land-based farm to grow Atlantic Salmon in Midcoast, Maine in 2018 and plans to begin construction of the facility in 2019.
HEALTHY, HIGH QUALITY FISH
- WHY SALMON?
- Salmon is rich in nutrients, minerals, marine omega-3 fatty acids, high-quality protein and vitamins, and represents an important part of a varied and healthy diet.
FOLLOW OUR PROGRESS IN BUCKSPORT MAINECheck out this drone video of the former Verso paper mill site where the Whole Oceans facility will be located in Bucksport, Maine. We will be documenting the construction of this state-of-the-art RAS facility through video and still images so that everyone can follow our progress. Come back soon and track the progress of this exciting development!
Whole Oceans is a Maine company, on track to become America’s premier, land-based producer of sustainable farm-raised Atlantic salmon.
Beginning in 2019, we are building a state-of-the-art Atlantic salmon recirculating aquaculture system (RAS) facility in Bucksport, Maine.
This project will be one of the largest land-based aquaculture projects in the world.
PRODUCED GLOBALLY (2017)
ATLANTIC SALMON SALES
PRODUCED DOMESTICALLY (2017)
UNIQUE ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY
Midcoast Maine has tremendous potential to attract cutting edge, high tech industries like RAS. There are also many complementary industries that could benefit from relationships with land-based aquaculture, both in supplying goods and services to production facilities and in processing waste streams into value-added products.
Workforce development is an important issue for the aquaculture industry in Maine. Whole Oceans is forming partnerships with universities and other institutions to support training programs and curriculum focused on land-based aquaculture. We hope to source much of our workforce locally and provide positions in this exciting industry for employees with all levels of education.
STATE OF THE ART TECHNOLOGYLAND-BASED RECIRCULATING AQUACULTURE SYSTEM (RAS)
RAS is a technique for raising fish in a closed, indoor, land-based system. Water is continuously recirculated through a purification system, which conserves water and eliminates the need for antibiotics.
While we are pursuing external partners for the utilization of our waste streams, Whole Oceans will not be using Aquaponics at the site during the first phase of this project.
ADVANTAGES OF RAS
- Water Savings of 95% - 99%
- Recirculating efficiency reduces overall water dependence.
- Mortality Reduction
- The tight biosecurity protocols in our facility will significantly lower the risk of pathogens and decrease the overall mortality of our fish.
- Natural Products
- Minimal to zero hormones & antibiotics.
- Environmentally Friendly
- Low impact on environmental resources.
- Extensive Monitoring Systems
- 24-hour control over feed & water quality.
Whole Oceans believes that land-based production will be a primary driver of increased Atlantic salmon capacity in the global seafood market.
By producing Atlantic salmon here in the United States, Whole Oceans’ salmon will have a reduced carbon footprint due to our close proximity to our customers.
FRESH & LOCALLY SOURCEDSEAFOOD OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY
A HIGHER QUALITY SALMON
- We are Focused on the Diet of our Salmon
- By utilizing the latest technology, we are able to grow our salmon in a clean, controlled reduced stress environment with a focus on healthy diets. This level of care is directly reflected the higher quality of our fish.
- Highly Nutritious
- Salmon is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. It’s rich in minerals, marine omega-3 fatty acids, very high-quality protein and several vitamins, and represents an important part of a varied and healthy diet.
- Grown from Egg to Harvest in One Place
- We use the highest quality eggs and grow our fish from eggs through harvest inside our Maine-based state of the art biosecure facility.
- USING THE ENTIRE SALMON
- We plan to further develop complimentary businesses designed to utilize all aspects of the fish to minimize our waste stream.
TEAM & PARTNERS
WORLD CLASS PARTNERS
Whole Oceans’ partners fulfill a best-in-class approach throughout our company. We are thrilled to include the world’s foremost leaders in land-based aquaculture design, engineering and construction:
Kennebec River Biosciences
Of course, a business is only as good as its people. To reach our long term production goals, Whole Oceans will create hundreds of jobs and will join with Maine educational partners to create our workforce of tomorrow.
Michael ThompsonSenior Project Coordinator
Kevin TaitFinance Manager
Orfa CabreraSenior Hatchery Manager
Jennifer Fortier AyreyEducation Coordinator
Kristen GreerOffice Administrator
SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATESSubscribe here to be added to our mailing list. You will receive periodic updates as we move forward.
CALL + CONNECT
Whole Oceans, LLC
P.O. Box 904
Bucksport, ME 04416